Monday, June 29, 2009

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be


We are exactly a month away from leaving and I have been thinking a lot about our move. So hard to imagine what our life will be like there. I can imagine what our jobs might be like (because we have had them here), I can slightly imagine what our home might be like (because we had one here), I can kind of imagine shopping for food and things at the market (because I have done that here). But all the in-betweens are really hard to imagine. The city of Tegucigalpa? Never been there - can't imagine it. Having to communicate in Spanish with someone who does not know English? I haven't done that in 12 years - a little nervous about that one. How we get around the city? I have always had a car and the freedoms that a car brings.

SO... where does that leave me? It leaves me feeling really nostalgic about all the comforts I am enjoying here. Bear with me, but I am going to brainstorm a list here of all the things I love about Sebastopol, in no particular order...

1. Farmer's Market on Sunday morning - Javier's goat cheese, Hector's honey, torpedo onions, kale, peaches, Paul's smoked salmon, heirloom tomatoes

2. Living within walking distance from one set of grandparents and a 10 minutes drive to another grandpa

3. My dog, Milo

4. Going to the market for a quick shopping trip and having it take a half hour because I keep running into people I know

5. My colorful neighborhood - Maureen's purple house, Rick's chili van, kids flying down the hill on a skate board, roller blades, or bicycle

6. Our great community of friends

7. The sound of a red tail hawk

8. My Friend Joe's

9. The smell of rose geranium in my garden

10. Lagunitas IPA

Feel free to add to the list, I am sure I left out a lot.

I guess my reason for getting all these things out of my head is to acknowledge them for the important and great things that they are and then realize that all of these things will have substitutes in Tegucigalpa. Of course, grandparents, great friends or a dog can never be replaced, but all those other in-betweens can. I'm sure we'll find a new favorite restaurant, place for coffee, new smells and sounds. But for now, I can only appreciate these things now and savor every last one of them before we go.

2 comments:

  1. Whenever you get nostalgic for that red tail hawk, think Roatan--manatees, amazing fish of all colors, shapes, and sizes, swimming with dolphins. I say, Roatan should be first stop on vacay list! There is also Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and the rest of Honduras to explore--ALWAYS carry dollars! (we went to Honduras with Costa Rican swag--that was a HUGE mistake!)

    I'll add: Wild Flower Bakery, Taylor Maid, clean water from the tap, recycling, canvas grocery bags, Spirit Rock. I think we will each stand out enough in our respective countries to run into lots of people we know--as expat communities tend to run that way.

    Gotta to go pack some boxes. Amy

    ReplyDelete