Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kid Update

A lot of times, our blogs are about places we've traveled to and the fabulous pictures that go with them.  These are designed to make you feel envious of our rock n roll lifestyle where we jet set all over Central America, frolicking in the waves of pristine beaches, hiking around breathtaking lakes and waterfalls, and coming eye to eye with some amazing animals.


Well, the reality is that we are working stiffs, just like you.  The only difference is that we are doing it in a different country.  Entirely.  So, this post is not to bore you with the ins and outs of our jobs, but to let you know what's going on with our cherubs. 


For a couple of months now, Linnea has taken much pride in making numbers with her body.  Here is a 4.  She can also masterfully create a 1, 2, 3 (this is tricky), 4, 7, and 8.  They have been making numbers with their bodies in pre-K and she thinks this is quite swell. 


She is learning about careers and was visited by a doctor and nurse (both women!) last week.  She informed me that one of them made medicine (are they bringing in a pharmaceutical scientists to pre-K?) and the other one took care of sick people.  Now she wants to be a vet.  "Oh, you want to veterinarian and take care of sick animals?" I ask her.  "No, I want to be a vet," she tells me. 


She is learning about the letter "Ss" this week and she took her Sylvia doll to show-and-tell today.  This is also number 11's big week!


I had to cut and paste this from her class blog, because it's kind of funny, but also really nice:


Virtue of the month: Tolerance. Our goal is:  "I will show my love by caring for others."


Now to Dempsey.  These are his spelling words for the week:  find, night, right, ever, head, should, shout, toad, from, and hike.  Since about October or November, Dempsey has been getting 100% correct on his spelling tests.  Today, his homework was to read a story out of his basal reader.  Remember that from when you were a kid?  A basal is a collection of leveled stories that you read.  I remember them being pretty boring.  


Well, today he was so excited because the story was from the Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel.  It was the story where Toad made a kite, but it wouldn't fly.  He excitedly came home and shared that he got to read a Frog and Toad story for homework.  He read it to his sister.  So sweet.  


In math, he's learning how to count by 2's, 5's and 10's.  


He made a ceramic bowl in art class last week.  This is a school-wide fundraiser  where each student and teacher makes a bowl.  The bowls will be sold for 100 lempira each on March 18 to raise money for a day care center here in the city that provides free care for children whose mothers have to work, but can't afford child care.  The money raised will provide breakfast and lunch for the children of the day care for almost a year.  Linnea and I made bowls, too.


Today was picture day.




Dempsey is the "Person of the Week" in his class.  He made a poster to tell about himself and it was his idea to made the American flag.  Tomorrow he is taking the ipod to school to play some of his favorite music.  Here is the playlist:


"Puff the Magic Dragon" by Peter, Paul and Mary
"The 3 R's" by Jack Johnson
"Happy Lemons" by Ralph Covert
"Shape I'm In" by Free Peoples
"The Sharing Song" by Jack Johnson
"I Love the Mountains" by Orange Sherbert
"Mr. Moon" by Orange Sherbert
"Rhinoceros Tap" by Adam Bryant


On Friday, to culminate his special status in his class, he will bring a snack of Rice Krispie Treats to share.


I think this probably gives you an idea of our typical day/week.  Now that I look at it, I can see that it's a lot!  No wonder we're always wiped out by Friday.


So, we'll keep posting the beautiful vacation pictures of exotic and beautiful places, but just remember that our weeks are just like yours...

3 comments:

  1. Thanx for sharing Jennie. I live vicariously through your experiences with your children...as you know I will likely never go through that. hugs - Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an especially nice posting. It is great to hear about your day-to-day life down there. The kids sound like they are doing great! I remember the Frog and the Toad stories too. That brings back warm memories :-)

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,
    Thanks for the note. We're really looking forward to coming back for the summer - walking around town to our favorite coffee place, walking to the bookstore, brewery, you name it! We walk around here, but it's just not the same! Jane's b-day is coming up, right? Happy Birthday to a sweet little one.
    Love, Jennie

    ReplyDelete