For those of you who have known us for many years, you may (or may not) remember that we were married on December 20, 1998. Some of our friends and relatives may have been cursing us under their breath for deciding to get married amidst the craziness of the holiday season. But, if I can say so myself, it was a beautiful time to get married. It got really cold the night before and it actually snowed on the hills above Forestville and St. Helena. That Sunday morning, it was bitterly cold, but crisp and clear. We got married at Paradise Ridge Winery and the vines were beautifully dormant; their gnarly, woody branches naked in the cold. We could see perfectly across the Santa Rosa valley to the western hills of Sebastopol and Forestville.
Tomorrow is December 20. Our 11th anniversary. The passage of time is a funny thing. In many ways, we are not the same people that married one another that day. We had no idea what life held for us. Rich or poor? Sick or healthy? Fun or a real drag? On the rocks or blended? Coffee or tea? Japanese or domestic? PC or mac? Sebastopol or Tegucigalpa? You know the answer to that one. But what I am thankful for is that the people that we have become still like one another. OK, we still LOVE one another and are still enjoying the adventure together, where ever that adventure may be.
So to commemorate our 11th anniversary, I am sending Eric a few days early to Roatan with his dad so they can maximize their diving time before the kids, my parents and I arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. He will be able to get in a few dives a day and think of me... his loving wife who selflessly sent him off to paradise a few days before the rest of us. It this what happens after 11 years of marriage? I'm OK with it.
Remember a month or so ago I wrote about my new affinity for chunky things? Well, I have a chunky thing now of my own... he gave me a beautiful Mayan bracelet for our 11th. The silver buckle has two Mayan people on it and it has taupe colored pearl strands. I've included a picture so you can enjoy it too.

Such a sweet story and yes, I really appreciate your letting your Eric go play in Roatan with me, and happy 11th dear. One in a million daughter in law.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your anniversary! The bracelet is lovely :-) What a lovely way to remember your 11th! Wishing you a wonderful visit with your parents. Hope you have a blast :-) Happy holidays from all of us!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth