Thursday, December 3, 2009

Selva Negra, Nicaragua



It's getting late tonight and I'll be heading to bed soon, but wanted to get some pictures up of our trip to Selva Negra, Nicaragua.  It is a organic coffee plantaition/hacienda in the mountains of northern Nicaragua near the town of Matagalpa.  We had planned on a 2 day trip, but the Nicaraguan government had other plans for us.  They closed the border Saturday morning to "protest" the elections that were scheduled for Sunday in Honduras.  We drove the 3 hours up to the border on Saturday morning only to be turned away.  We were told by the Nicaraguan national police that the border might open Monday or Tuesday.  So we headed back to Selva Negra for 2 more nights and made it back to Tegucigalpa safely on Monday afternoon.

The view from our car, looking at the Nicaraguan border.



On a swing outside our cabin.





Coffee drying out in the sun.
And these are the beans, even though they look like peanuts.








Coffee beans ready to be picked (just the red ones).








Fishing






Here you can see a Howler Monkey there were about 12 monkeys in this tree! Just outside of our room.




The streets of Sebaco were lined with hundreds of these stalls.

 
At the border again, this time ready to go home.  This is the line heading into Honduras.



I saved the best for last.  This is an actual road sign outside of Matagalpa, Nicaragua.












2 comments:

  1. Hey there Lofchie family! I am getting all caught up tonight on your wonderful posts. I just love reading about all your exciting adventures. I am glad you got to have a bit of Thanksgiving down there. As we come up on the holidays, we sure will miss seeing you on Christmas Eve. However, I know it will be great to have Nana and Grandfather visiting :-)

    I am so glad you didn't let the kids go on that rickety ferris wheel and we are so proud of Dempsey for his award and "environmental consciousness". Totally awesome! I absolutely get where Linnea is coming from on the soccer jersey thing. If I love something - I don't want to take it off either ;-)

    Sending you all a big hug from all of us, especially at this time of year.

    Love,
    Elizabeth, Chris and Jane

    P.S. It is freezing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennie et al. This is Li-At... finally checking in! Sorry for being such a bad friend :(

    Just wanted to let you know I do think about you; quite often actually.

    Happy Channukah to all y'all down in Nicaragua.

    LoveLi

    PS I guess I get to cheat: I just got a mini-Jennie fix by seeing your picture. I can't believe how big Dempsey and Linnea have gotten. It was great seeing you, Eric, and the kids... even if only in a picture.

    PPS My favorite of your scenic pics is the street in Sabeco. Well, I guess that and the dynamiting man at work.

    ReplyDelete